I know everyone gets excited about pumpkin-flavored everything this time of year, and I do too, but the savory fall flavors are some of my favorites. When I lived up in New England, one of my favorite things about fall was going to the farmers market to get all kinds of seasonal goodies, covering them all in olive oil and herbs and roasting them in the oven.
In Florida, I don’t have the luxury of hitting up a New England farmer’s market on a crisp fall day, but I can still find my favorite fall veggies at the grocery store! Recreating the aromas and flavors of fall almost makes me feel like I can see the colors change on the trees.
I made this super simple, super delicious batch of roasted root vegetables the other day and the came out DIVINE. I ate them on top of arugula as a side to some garlicky-herb chicken thighs for dinner, and the next day with some sunny eggs for breakfast!
Nutritionally, roasted root vegetables are lovely because they are hearty and satisfying while being packed with nutrients. As an intuitive eater, it’s very important that my food is satiating taste-wise, physically, and nutritionally. This meets all the marks. Fiber, carbs, healthy fats, vitamins, phytonutrients… check! Plus, this meal is already gluten, dairy, soy, and nut free, so it’s perfect if your feeding a crowd with food sensitivities or allergies.
Also, pardon the sub-par pictures. I took them at night and wasn’t necessarily planning on using them for a blog post!
Roasted Root Vegetables with Herbs
- Two large sweet potatoes
- Two medium sized beets
- A few mini rainbow carrots (I used a bag of them I found at Trader Joes)
- 1/2 a red onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil (adjust to preference. I like a lot of oil when roasting)
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash all veggies, peel beets and carrots
- Chop sweet potatoes and beets into 3/4 inch pieces
- If carrots are thin, keep 3-4 inches long. If thick, cut into smaller pieces
- Slice onion into 1/4 inch thick slices
- Put all veggie pieces in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil
- season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and herbs
- Mix until oil and seasoning is evenly distributed
- Transfer vegetables to pan and roast until soft and starting to brown (probably about 30-40 minutes or so, but if I’m being totally honest, I didn’t time it and I’m not actually a “professional” recipe developer, so…yeah. But I trust you can figure it out)